The importance of water for the human body cannot be overstated. To put it simply, we require water to survive. But, while most freshwater will do the trick, not all water is beneficial for you. Some types of water are naturally going to be better than others.
Can you drink tap water in Australia?
The short answer to this question is yes. Tap water in Australia is considered safe to drink by health professionals. In fact, until the 1990s, Australian tap water had an extremely safe and reliable reputation. In 1998, however, a water treatment plant in Sydney was contaminated with a dangerous parasite, making tap water in Sydney unsafe to drink. While the issue was resolved, the source of the parasite contamination was never found, and many Australians began to feel wary about the safety of their tap water.
It should also be noted that the levels of some chemicals in Australian tap water are not considered safe for infants, so avoid giving tap water to young children if you can.
What are the negatives of drinking tap water in Australia?
While Australian tap water may be OK to drink, there are some negatives that you should be aware of before you reach for another glass. The following are some of the top reasons why people are reconsidering drinking tap water:
- Skin irritation: Most public water systems are fed by “hard water” which is often high in minerals such as calcium and magnesium. This type of water can cause skin irritation and other health concerns.
- Metal poisoning: Heavy metals or metallic elements can easily contaminate your tap water, leading to numerous health issues such as nerve damage, memory loss or diarrhoea when consumed in large quantities.
- Chlorine and chemicals: Chlorine and other chemicals are often added to tap water to make it safe to drink. These chemicals aren’t technically harmful, but they can produce an unpleasant chemical taste.
- Inconsistent taste: You may find that your water has a distinctly earthy smell and taste. This is caused by a build-up of algae bacteria in the water source or if your water has been sitting in the pipes for too long.
- Your piping plays a part: The pipes that your tap water runs through play a big part in your water quality. Pipes that are old or excessively long, such as those found in large or old buildings, can lead to your water tasting bitter and metallic. This is due to the exposure to iron and copper in the piping.
Why people are switching to natural spring water
Due to these issues with Australian tap water, many people are choosing instead to drink bottled natural spring water. Natural spring water is a fantastic alternative to tap water and is significantly better for you and your health.
Springwater is naturally rich in essential minerals such as calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium, which our bodies require to stay healthy. Springwater has been shown to help improve gastrointestinal issues, aid in digestion and help to carry oxygen to the brain. It also goes through a natural filtration system and is bottled at the source, making it a much healthier alternative to tap water which is treated with chemicals.